New Year's in Belize11 Days • 5 Cities New Year's in Belize
New Year's in Central America? You better Belize it! Ring it in with the ultimate blend of Caribbean travel. Snorkel the world’s second-longest barrier reef, tube silently through sacred caves and climb atop mysterious temples more than 1,000 years old.
What are the top highlights?
- Explore the Maya ruins of Tikal and Lamanai
- Enjoy the relaxed Caribbean beach atmosphere of San Pedro
- Zipline and cave-tube deep in the jungle of Central America
- Snorkel off the coasts of San Pedro and Turneffe Atoll
- Immerse yourself in a wide spectrum of local cultures and traditions
Your trip includes
- Round-trip flights & airport transfers
- Multilingual Tour Director & local guides
- Private motorcoach
- Ferry ride to Ambergris Caye
- 10 nights in hand-picked accommodations
- Welcome Mixer with appetizers & drinks
- Daily breakfast & three-course Farewell Dinner
- Entrances to Tikal National Park, Lamanai Archaeological Reserve & other select attractions
You’ll stay at accommodations hand-picked by our team of local experts, in rooms only for EF Ultimate Break travelers. Each property is located in a safe, convenient area. You’ll receive your exact accommodations 30 days before your trip departs.
Click here for examples of where you'll stay.
Admit it, booking flights is the worst. Here's why you should let us do it for you:
- Flight costs are included in your monthly payment plan, so you can pay over time
- Airport transfers are included, so we’ll be waiting, sign in hand
- Flights are booked with major airlines
- 24/7 support no matter what time zone you’re in
- One checked bag included on most flights
- Option to make changes to your trip up to 99 days before departure
Booking with a friend? Let us know and we’ll do our best to make sure you’re on the same flight. Still want to book your own flights? That’s cool, simply select ‘No flights included’ instead of your departure city in the ‘Flights from’ dropdown.
Day 1: Flight & Arrival in Belize City
Welcome to Belize! We’ll be waiting to bring you to your accommodations in the Belize City region.
- Meet an EF representative at the airport
- Transfer to your accommodation in the Belize City region via coach
- Receive the latest schedule from your Tour Director
- Meet the other travelers as they arrive
- Get to know your fellow travelers over an included dinner this evening
Day 2: Visit Lamanai Ruins + Welcome Mixer
Visit the ancient Maya ruins of Lamanai, one of Belize’s biggest and best-understood ancient sites. Today, it is a protected archaeological area, but it was home to nearly 3,000 years of continuous occupation by Maya peoples.
- Travel by speedboat 25 miles up the New River, passing jungle scenery and a picturesque Mennonite village en route to Lamanai
- Explore the ancient Maya ruins with an expert, local guide
- Climb to the top of the High Temple for great jungle views
- See the famed Jaguar Temple and Mask Temple
Enjoy a local Belizean lunch
In the evening, it’s time for our Welcome Mixer. Enjoy a dinner and drinks with fellow travelers.
Day 3: Explore the Beaches and Reefs of Ambergris Caye + Belize Food Tour
You're off to the island paradise of San Pedro, your place for water sports, snorkeling and fruity drinks. The reef offshore is part of the Great Belize Barrier Reef, the second largest in the world, home to nearly 90 variations of coral and over 500 different species of fish.
- Travel by ferry 14 miles to San Pedro
- Find a waterside bar on the pier, enjoy a fruity drink and listen to live music
- Swim off the pier or head to Banana Beach to catch some sun
- Sample local seafood and try a Belikin, the national beer of Belize
Belize Food Tour(extra cost)
Saying Belizean food is just rice and beans is like saying American food is just French fries. Sure, we love them, but they’re merely a side dish within a deeply exciting cuisine. Sample salbutes (sort of like tacos), fry jacks (sort of like fried dough), and learn about how Mayan cuisine (sort of amazing) seeped its way into the vibrant foods Belizeans eat. After this experience, you’re doomed to wander your hometown looking for a bite of anything that will remind you of this delicious day.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
Day 4: Snorkel the Reef at Hol Chan + Free afternoon
Journey by boat to this snorkelers' paradise. Get outfitted in your gear and join your guide for an orientation to Hol Chan’s spectacular marine life and colorful coral. Then enjoy a free afternoon. Stay in town to explore more of the area or head back to the beach and wetsuit up for more snorkeling.
- Glide past the colorful formations that Belize is known for as you snorkel the second largest barrier reef in the world
- See turtles, nurse sharks, sting rays, jacks, tarpon, and many other marine species
- Swim in the warm waters—the average ocean temperature is 82.9 degrees
- Enjoy the afternoon to continue snorkeling on your own
Day 5: Welcome to the Jungle
You’re on the move inland, into dense, verdant jungle along the border of Guatemala.
San Ignacio, today’s destination, is the gateway city to jungle and adventure.
- En route, stop back in Belize City for a little more face time with this coastal gem
- Listen closely as you hear the howler monkeys...howl. As the loudest animals on the planet, they'll be hard to ignore
- Head back to the mainland via water taxi
Day 6: Explore Tikal’s Ancient Ruins
Visit Tikal, Guatemala. Home to impressive Maya temples, ball courts and numerous excavated buildings, this place once rivaled Ancient Rome in size and splendor. It's believed that more than 100,000 Mayan people called Tikal home. After working up an appetite exploring the grounds, enjoy lunch at a local restaurant.
- Wake up to the sounds of the jungle in San Ignacio
- Cross Guatemala off your bucket list
- Visit Tikal, the most impressive ancient site in the Western Hemisphere
- Climb 221 feet to the top of Temple IV
- Be on the lookout for howler monkeys, spider monkeys and many other animals; Tikal is brimming with jungle wildlife
Day 7: Hike and Zipline the Jungle + Relax in San Ignacio
Experience the rush of the zipline as you cruise above the jungle canopy from platform to platform, then chill out as you float through blue waters in caves within caves within caves. This will be one seriously awesome day.
- Zipline above the jungle canopy at speeds of nearly 50 mph
- Hike the jungle and see more wildlife
- Get refreshed from the jungle heat in the cool cave water
- Discover stalagmites and stalactites with names like "Dragon" and "Eagle."
- Tube through sacred Maya caves
- Refuel from all your floating with a hearty barbecue lunch
- Make your way to the Southern Coast along Hummingbird Highway, one of the most beautiful (and beautifully-named) roads in the world
Day 8: Free Day on the Southern Coast
Enjoy a full day to explore the Southern Coast. This area of Belize is rapidly growing in popularity among visitors and is home to some of Belize's best beaches
Day 9: Snorkel the Southern Coast
Travel via private boat charter to the outer reaches of the Southern Coast. This atoll is another of Belize’s natural treasures. The mangroves that grow here provide the basis for an incredible ecological system while allowing more than 500 species of fish and 65 varieties of coral to thrive.
- Explore this unique ecological zone, home to 500 species of tropical fish
- Snorkel, paddleboard, and kayak the crystal-blue, warm waters
- Be on the lookout for dolphins, sea turtles and manatees
Snorkel at Turneffe Atoll(extra cost)
Take advantage of the country-that-has-it-all’s biggest atoll (that’s marine biologist for “coral reef island ring”). Take a private boat charter out to the Turneffe Atoll, part of the Belize Coral Reef, for a day of snorkeling, kayaking, and water sports. There’s dolphins, sea turtles, and manatees just chilling out in the pristine waters, so feel free to make a new friend. Legend has it Blackbeard the pirate used to hang out here, but please avoid buccaneering your friend’s paddle boards in his name.
Why wait? Save money by booking this optional excursion before your trip departs.
Day 10: Return to Belize City
After a wonderful time in the Southern Coast, it's time to head back to Belize City.
- Spend one last morning enjoying the beautiful beaches of Belize
- Continue on to Belize City
Share some last laughs (and maybe shed a few tears) at an included farewell dinner with the group.
Day 11: Fly Home
Your next destination awaits—home. Before you head to the airport, enjoy your last few moments together. Take one more group photo. Grab that final drink. (Fine, maybe a couple of drinks.) But this isn’t goodbye. It’s “See you later.” The only question is, where?
*EXTEND YOUR TRIP 2 WAYS
1. Double the fun
A lot of our trips line up back to back! Give us a call—we can help you add another and save big while you're at it.
2. Go ahead or stay behind
Extending your trip is easy! During checkout, you'll have the option to fly to (or from) the gateway of your choice for an additional fee. We'll adjust your flights accordingly, but you'll be responsible to take care of your transportation, hotels, and other logistics outside of tour.
Note: Depending on your desired gateways, additional fees may apply.
No reviews (yet) for this awesome trip